Quantcast

Jun 3, 2012

Let's Discuss: Literary Genius vs. Fun Reading

Some books we read are so well constructed and immaculately written that once we turn the last page, we are awestruck by the story and bow in honor to the author's talent and ability. Novels such as these require complete focus, attention, and patience. These are the kind of books that, when I'm reading, I keep a pen and paper on hand in case I feel the urge to take notes to hopefully absorb some of the wisdom the writer has to offer.

On the other hand, some books can makes us raise our eyebrows to the ceiling at the ridiculousness, but we keep on reading them. In fact, I always tend to read these types of books more quickly. Why? Because they are just plain fun.

I'm reading Fifty Shades of Grey, but before I flipped that first page in my softcover copy, I heard a lot of different opinions. I've heard people say "It is the worst book ever..." (There's actually a facebook page dedicated to this point of view..personally, I laughed out loud because the page is more ridiculous than the book is "claimed" to be.)... I've seen a site boasting The 50 Worst Synonyms in FSoG, although after reading a few of their editorial fixes, I think I'd go with E L James's version every time.


Negativity and downers aside, there are plenty of others who love this book, otherwise it wouldn't have started such a phenomenon. The description I've heard the most about this erotic novel is something along the lines of, "It's not great in a literary sense, but man-o-man is it fun to read. So far, I'd have to agree.


The writing's not bad, don't get me wrong, but the character development and the way we jump right into the gushing and electric vibes between Christian Grey and Ana Steele are slightly unbelievable so far. BUT, although I notice these things, I really don't care all that much.

That got me wondering... would you overlook literary errors for the sake of entertainment? 


For me, it depends on the book. If it's got a decent story line or is something that stirs up controversy and blows propriety out of the water.. sure, it sparks my interest and I'm usually all for giving it a shot despite negative reviews.

What about you?

Happy Reading Everyone :)


~ Keely ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I so appreciate you taking the time to comment :) It really means so much to me!! Thanks for stopping by!