Quantcast

Jun 21, 2012

Booking Through Thursday and From the Review Pile



Hot day here in New England ~ Feels more like the South Texas weather I used to know. What I'd give to jump in a big pile of snow :) Thank all that is Holy that summers here are short!

Anyway, this week's BTT asks:

Do you have a favorite quote from a book?

My favorite quote of all time was said by Pablo Picasso ~ 

"Everything you can imagine is real."


I don't think it gets any better than that, but here are a few quotes from books that struck me in one way or another:

“Words are like physical objects around us that appear to be continuous and whole but are in fact composed of particles too small for for the eye to see, for the brain to imagine. Words oversimplify reality. Break open a word, and it's like breaking a mold. The contents seep free, become something new.” ~ Christina Meldrum, Madapple




“People hide their truest nature. I understood that; I even applauded it. What sort of world would it be if people bled all over the sidewalks, if they wept under trees, smacked whomever they despised, kissed strangers, revealed themselves?” ~ Alice Hoffman, The Ice Queen


“I'm not sure what I am. I just know there's something dark in me. I hide it. I certainly don't talk about it, but it's there always, this Dark Passenger. And when he's driving, I feel alive, half sick with the thrill of complete wrongness. I don't fight him, I don't want to. He's all I've got. Nothing else could love me, not even... especially not me. Or is that just a lie the Dark Passenger tells me? Because lately there are these moments when I feel connected to something else... someone. It's like the mask is slipping and things... people... who never mattered before are suddenly starting to matter. It scares the hell out of me.” ~ Jeff Lindsay, Darkly Dreaming Dexter


AND...



From the Review Pile is a meme hosted by Stepping Out of the Page every Thursday. The aim of this meme is to showcase books that you've received for review. (or any book that you own and really want to read/review) but haven't yet got around to reading, in order to give the book some extra publicity.

This week, I'm spotlighting two books I received recently for review ~ *can't wait* to read 'em!! Embrace by Cherie Colyer and Willow Pond by Carol Tibaldi



How far would you go to save the people you love?

Madison is familiar enough with change, and she hates everything about it. Change took her long-term boyfriend away from her. It caused one of her friends to suddenly hate her. It’s responsible for the death of a local along with a host of other mysterious happenings. But when Madison meets a hot new guy, she thinks her luck is about to improve.

Madison is instantly drawn to the handsome and intriguing Isaac Addington. She quickly realizes he’s a guy harboring a secret, but she’s willing to risk the unknown to be with him.

Her world really spins out of control, however, when her best friend becomes delusional, seeing things that aren’t there and desperately trying to escape their evil. When the doctors can’t find the answers, Madison seeks her own.

Nothing can prepare her for what she is about to discover.
Dangerous, intoxicating, and darkly romantic, Embrace is a thriller that will leave you spellbound.

The Roaring Twenties crumble into the Great Depression, but Virginia Kingsley, New York's toughest and most successful speakeasy owner, is doing just fine. Now that the world is falling apart, bootlegging is a flourishing business, and she's queen of that castle.

Then her infant nephew is kidnapped. Her niece, Laura, and Laura's philandering movie star husband, are devastated. The police have few leads, and speculation and rumors abound in the media circus that follows the celebrity abduction.

Only one reporter, Erich Muller, seems to care enough about the child's welfare and the parents' feelings to report the case responsibly. Over the course of the investigation, Erich Muller and Laura fall in love, but their relationship is doomed to failure since he suspects her beloved aunt Virginia is behind the kidnapping. Laura, jaded when it comes to men, sides with Virginia.

But Virginia has figured out the truth, and she can't tell anyone for fear of losing her niece's affections and having the police ransack her life. So she pursues her own investigation, shaking down, threatening, and killing one petty crook after another during her search.

Little Todd's absence shapes everyone's lives. When he is finally found, the discovery will bring disaster for some and revelation for others.


Happy Reading Everyone :)


~ Keely ~

9 comments:

  1. I love the Picasso quote and I really hope it's true! The 'Madapple' quote is also amazing and the cover is beautiful! Hop on over if you have the time:
    http://universeinwords.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/btt-quotes.html
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ice queen quote is so right. Madness will run down the streets.

    Thanks for stopping by. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6/21/2012

    Enjoyed reading your favorite quote, stop and see mine.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/06/booking-through-thursday_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Picasso is perfect! Here's my BTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liked the Picasso quote.

    here's mine:

    http://citygirlwholovestoread.blogspot.com/2012/06/booking-through-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww..these are great..i love the 'Embrace' one the most! Great picks it was hard for me to choose just one as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All are wonderful quotes!

    Here is my BTT post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved all the quotes. They were so deep and meaningful.


    My BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Im following you back!!

    Loved your quotes and Embrace sounds good and has a nice cover!

    Valerie @ Intriguing Reads

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate you taking the time to comment :) It really means so much to me!! Thanks for stopping by!