Quantcast

Apr 19, 2012

Booking Through Thursday

I can't believe I've made it to Thursday.. I imagine myself, usually on Mondays, getting through each long day, trying to blow it off as no big deal, even though I have no desire doing what I get a paycheck for. Thank God for books and the book blogging community, where I can immerse myself in the things that truly matter :)

This weeks question asks:

What are your literary "pet peeves"? 

The things that drive me bat-s***-crazy in the literary world are pretty similar to the "nails-on-a-chalkboard" incidents that irk me in real life. I'm a character-driven reader ~ I feel that the characters are what make the story and everything else just trickles down from them. So when a character is shallow, lazy, helpless, and just plain stupid, I get a little irritable. (People are the only things that bug me in real life, so I guess it makes sense that characters are the source of my annoyance in the literary world).

One example that comes to mind, probably because it's the most recent book I completed (yay! I finally finished it!), is Clary from Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series. I love the series, but Clary.. she's just.. well.. annoying. She always wants to be in the middle of the Shadowhunter "fights," but when they find themselves in the thick of it, she freezes, screams, and waits ever-so-patiently as a ten foot demon is fatally creeping towards her to be saved by someone else who already has their hands, clothes, and hair full of gooey monster ichor. She doesn't think about the situation at hand, and only worries about what she's feeling, about getting gratification or resolution for her worries, when really, a little patience would go a long way and not ruin everyone's careful plans. Sorry, I ramble. But her helplessness and idiocy just made me so furious!

So to make a too-long story short, characters are usually the biggest source of my literary "pet peeves." I don't mind if they make mistakes - in fact it's the faults that make the story interesting - I just want them to learn from those mistakes and realize it's probably in their best interest not to repeat them ~ although many seem to create patterns, which just rakes my nerves.

Happy Reading Everyone :)


~ Keely ~ 

9 comments:

  1. Visiting from BTT. Here's my link http://edwardsgranddaugther.blogspot.com/2012/04/reviewing-how-to-live-and-not-die-as-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree. I hate wafer thin characters. That's why I hated the Twilight series (don't even get me started on that one!). Here's my pet peeves: Small Blonde Hippy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Characters can definitely be pet peeves at times. You can see my pet peeves here
    Happy reading! (new follower btw)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes, I definitely don't enjoy the pitiful, pathetic and helpless characters...lol.

    Showing a character that learns from her mistakes should be the goal of the writer....IMO.

    Here's MY THURSDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get you!

    Here is my BTT post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha I love that series but I hear what your'e saying and totally get it. Characters are important to me too. Here’s my BTT
    Thanks
    Cathy @ Addicted to Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4/19/2012

      I agree with you.

      http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/04/booking-through-thursday_19.html

      Delete
  7. I completely agree!!! Characters are crucial to a book and when they suck, so does the book! I'm a new follower! Hop on over if you have the time:
    http://universeinwords.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/booking-through-thursday.html
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the irritating characters thing, but I don't agree about Clary. I love her. :')
    My BTT.

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate you taking the time to comment :) It really means so much to me!! Thanks for stopping by!